A general contractor is an individual or a company who takes complete control of a construction projects. They can undertake both commercial and residential projects. A general contractor is a construction manager who is employed by a client upon the advice of the project’s engineer or architect in charge.
A general contractor is also
mentioned as the main or the prime contractor who is responsible for complete
day-to-day oversight of a construction site, management of the vendors,
traders, and main communication will all the parties involved in process of a
Need for a General Contractor
As the responsibility of a general contractor is to take complete control of a construction project, he is someone who can be trusted by a client who do not have any plan to make tasks on his own regarding his project. A general contractor can assess the project plan from the start and conveys and performs all work activities.
Responsibilities of a General Contractor
The responsibilities of a
general contractor vary from one project to another project. Here, we will
mention the general responsibilities involved in the general contracting
performed by a general contractor.
1. 1. Procurement
and supply of building materials and construction materials for the project.
2. Supply labor required for the project.
3. Provide equipment like tools and engineering vehicles
4. Hiring subcontractors for specific parts of the project when the project involves specific technical works.
5. Other services necessary for the construction project
6. Oversee and monitor the quality and the timeliness of all the project activities
7. Monitoring the schedules, payments and the money flow.
8. Recording all activities, issues, problem faced throughout the course of the project
9. Ensuring safety practices all throughout the construction activities.
How to Become a General Contractor?
The main requirement to become a general contractor is to attain required qualifications for the intended job.
1. Educational Qualifications:
A bachelor’s degree with apprenticeship is an advantage
2. Field of Study:
Engineering, Construction Management or Construction Science.
3. Key Skills of a General
Contractor: Leadership and communication skills, problem-solving, time
management and interpersonal skills.
4. License or
Certification Requirement: License is acquired as per the state requirement.
5. Average Annual Salary
As per 2019: $90,794 in United States
Once the required
qualifications are achieved by the individual, the steps involved in becoming a
general contractor are:
required educational qualification
work experience and practical knowledge
General Contractor Certification
License as per the State guidelines